Tears and Tantrums Parenting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help needed!

4 posters

Go down

Help needed! Empty Help needed!

Post by nancyx Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:10 am

My little Emma has begun her first year in primary school, and her math report is not so good. I don't know what can I do. She is good in reading, but not in counting and calculating. Her teacher has recommended Beestar.org, a website of free math practice. Anybody here use it before? Any advice?

Thanks!

nancyx
Forum Baby
Forum Baby

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Back to top Go down

Help needed! Empty Re: Help needed!

Post by bikermum Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:23 am

not sure hun i know u can get posters for kids with math problems on them just simple ones like 1+1, but if it helps and she's looking at it it might help
how about helping her by sticking maths problems about the house so maybe when she goes to her bedroom door theres one there and she works it out before she goes in?
bikermum
bikermum
Forum Toddler
Forum Toddler

Female
Number of posts : 153
Who Are You? : step mum
Registration date : 2008-01-12

http://mrandmrssaward.weddingannouncer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkbambi Wed May 07, 2008 6:06 am

I would try things that make maths fun. the last thing u want is for her to fear it. Don't worry too much as she is young and these things develop.

I always did things (and still do) so that they don't realise they are doing maths.

Like counting how many plates we need to dinner and then taking out 1 too many and asking how many we need and if i have the right amount etc.

Things like sharing sweets and cutting an apple into bit and counting, building and stuff like that.

pinkbambi
Forum Baby
Forum Baby

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkbambi Wed May 07, 2008 6:08 am

also fridge magnets are good with maths stuff and english. i had some and put mish mashed words on it and let him make sentences and i made sums and let him stick the answers on etc.

pinkbambi
Forum Baby
Forum Baby

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FF3 Thu May 08, 2008 2:34 am

I'm a primary school teacher and I would recommend making maths fun for her - don't make it a chore or she will struggle.

As Pink bambi said just everyday things like counting household objects and looking at shapes. There are quite a few good games on Cbeebies site that focus on maths but have all the characters on which might be useful.

But give the website a try - the teacher must have thought she would benefit from it!
FF3
FF3
Forum Baby
Forum Baby

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down