Group B Strep

Go down

Group B Strep Empty Group B Strep

Post by Fergie on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:42 am

I just thought I would do a post about Group B Strep incase there was anyone who had not heard about this.

There is more information about it at the bottom of this post, but in a nutshell many women can carry GBS and be perfectly healthy and require no treatment. There is a risk however that babies exposed to GBS during labour can become seriously ill. As far as I'm aware, the NHS still does not routinely test pregnant women for GBS, even though the effects have the potential to be very serious, and the prevention could be quite simple.

I paid for a private test and my results came back as being positive, so I had to have IV antibiotics once my waters had been broken. This wasn't a problem, just meant that a water birth was out of the question and once my water had gone, I wasn't allowed to have a bath for pain relief due to the increased risk of infection. One point to bear in mind however is that the results of the result will only show whether you had GBS at the time of testing. As I tested positive I think I will just request the antibiotics during any subsequent labours to be on the safe side.

I found a company who sent out a free swab kit free (had to pay p&p) and you only pay (32) if you decide to take the test. Unfortunately this was at the same when Royal Mail was on strike. As I didn't want my swabs 'hanging around' a postbox until the strike was over, I went to a private clinic thinking that they would be doing their own testing...WRONG!! They were using the same bloomin' company away and still had to wait for the strike to finish!!! Ended up paying about 80 for nothing!

Anyway, I just wanted to post just incase some of you have never heard of this.
HTH someone!
Ax

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/motherbabyinfections2.shtml#group_b_streptococcus_(gbs)]
Fergie
Fergie
Forum Baby
Forum Baby

Female
Number of posts : 39
Who Are You? : Mummy
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Group B Strep Empty Re: Group B Strep

Post by mad267 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:42 am

Thats useful to know, I have a friend who was treated for it in pregnancy and they found it because she had recurrent urinary tract infections in her pregnancy.
I do find it a little odd that they now routinely test for HIV even if you have not had any high risk behaviour and yet not test for this.
I may look into a test just for peace of mind.
mad267
mad267
All Grown up!
All Grown up!

Female
Number of posts : 332
Who Are You? : Wife and Mummy2b
Registration date : 2008-01-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandsmunchkins on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:30 am

My friend had this and ended up having to stay a little longer in hospital x luckily both her and the baby were well x

Love Mands xxx

Forum Toddler
Forum Toddler

Female
Number of posts : 165
Who Are You? : Married
Registration date : 2008-01-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T RACKHAM on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:37 am

Hi
I Had group B strep when I was preg with my second child three weeks before I was due, I found out when I had a greenish discharged, otherwise I would not know nothing about it at the time.

Its better to get it check out.
T RACKHAM
T RACKHAM
Forum Baby
Forum Baby

Female
Number of posts : 43
Who Are You? : Mum to two lovely girls
Registration date : 2008-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down