Tears and Tantrums Parenting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lactose Intollerance & Dairy allergy

Go down

Lactose Intollerance & Dairy allergy Empty Lactose Intollerance & Dairy allergy

Post by Sarah Y Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:25 am

Lactose intolerance (or hypolactasia) is the term used to describe a decline in the level of lactase, an enzyme needed for proper metabolization of lactose (a sugar that is a constituent of milk and other dairy products), in human beings. An estimated 70% of adult humans are considered lactose intolerant and therefore, from a world view, lactose intolerance can be regarded as "normal" for adult humans whereas lactose tolerance may be considered a form of neoteny.
There are three major types of lactose intolerance

Primary lactose intolerance. Environmentally induced when weaning a child in non dairy consuming societies. This includes many Asian and African cultures, where industrialized and commercial dairy is uncommon.

Secondary lactose intolerance. Environmentally induced, resulting from certain gastrointestinal diseases, including exposure to intestinal parasites such as giardia. In such cases the production of lactase may be permanently disrupted.(Wiser 2000, Pennardt 2006). A very common cause of temporary lactose intolerance is gastroenteritis, particularly when the gastroenteritis is caused by rotavirus.

Congenital lactase deficiency. A genetic disorder which prevents enzymatic production of lactase. Present at birth, and diagnosed in early infancy.-Wikipedia

When my daughter was about two years of age I noticed a difference in her, she complained constantly of stomach cramps and would get a slight hive type rash on her cheeks and arms..I took her to the Doctors who diagnosed her with Lactose intollerance, she now has to avoid rich dairy products which include cream,milk,creme fraiche & Yogurts. She seems to alright with small amounts of chocolate but luckily supermarkets such as Morrisons, Sainsburys & Tesco stock a fantastic range of dairy free products including chocolate and things like soya milk and dairy free custard. At the moment I find that she is okay with a lacto free milk which the supermarkets sell.
Is there anyone else who's child/themselves have been diagnosed with this? There are a few great forums around with recipies for people who have to avoid Dairy free products and if you can recommend any products feel free to name them.

http://www.lactofree.co.uk/ Here is the milk which we use, has the taste of milk just without the lactose.

Sarah
Sarah Y
Sarah Y
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 143
Who Are You? : Mum of two
Registration date : 2008-01-10

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum